Two-Minute Drill: Matta, Buckeyes Ready for Wisconsin
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — Ohio State has won back to back games over Iowa and Penn State since the team’s three-point loss at Michigan State.
The Buckeyes are back up to No. 11 overall in the latest AP Top 25 poll, but they host a Wisconsin team on Tuesday that beat Thad Matta’s team on senior day in Columbus last season.
Here is a look at what Matta and some of his players had to say on Monday as they look to stay in the Big Ten race against the Badgers (14-6, 5-2 Big Ten) tomorrow night (7 p.m. ET, ESPN).
* Backup point guard Shannon Scott said he feels like a more important member of the team this year. Has to be productive every time he's on the court.
* Scott said he wanted to get the ball to Thomas on that last play at MSU, but felt he was covered.
* Scott admitted he was just trying to get something up at the rim. Doesn't want to dwell on it now, but thinks it will help his game.
* Matta: "Basketball is a lot like life. Some good things happen and when bad things happen you analyze...OK, I don't want to do that again."
* Sophomore Sam Thompson said, believe it or not, he's never lost confidence in his ability. Even when he misses a shot, he expects the next one to go in.
* Thompson called the 19pt loss at Illinois a "smack in the face." Said it was the wake up call they needed. Have to bring it every night.
* Matta said his talk with Thompson was simply about playing his best basketball. Doing the things he can do.
* Matta said it was good for other guys to win on the road without Deshaun Thomas playing his best game, but they "need to Deshaun to play well, and he will."
* Matta also said LaQuinton Ross took a step back earlier this year, but he likes where he's at right now. Showing a lot of progress.
* Scott said they have last year's home loss to Wisconsin in their minds. It was Will Buford's senior day, so they're playing for him.
* Matta said Wisconsin is a great basketball team. Mature, older team that slows it down but can run when needed.
* Matta said it seems like all their games against Wisconsin have had major implications.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.