Two-Minute Drill: Matta Looking for Growth
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — Ohio State coach Thad Matta likes what he seen out of his Buckeyes in practice this week. He doesn’t know exactly what to expect on Wednesday night against Savannah State, as the OSU players finish up final exams.
Matta said some of his teams have come out firing on all cylinders after the end of finals, while others have looked like they needed to get more sleep.
Here’s a rundown of what Matta had to say on Tuesday, along with sophomore Shannon Scott and Sam Thompson.
Scott Building Confidence
* Shannon Scott said last year he was constantly thinking about not turning the ball over. This year he's just out there playing.
* Scott said he's seeing the floor better and feels more comfortable making good passes without trying to find the perfect pass.
* Scott said he feels like defenders are guarding him a lot closer this year, which gives him more ability to make plays.
* Scott said his main role is to get everyone involved on the court and push the ball up the floor. Get guys in the right spot.
* Matta said he doesn't want Shannon Scott to turn into Mark Titus, who's main focus was to finish his OSU career with 0 turnovers.
Sam I Am
* Sam Thompson said in high school he was used to 1-2 guys guarding him. Messed with his confidence to see guys sagging off him.
* Matta said Thompson has a much better feel for the game and better understanding this year.
* Matta said Thompson is the ultimate team guy. Almost wishes he would be a little more selfish at times.
* Matta said the best defenders he's ever coached often played football too. Pointed out Craft and Lighty were really good football players.
* Buckeyes worked on offensive skill work all offseason. It's about 70-30 defense in practice during the year.
* Matta said he really feels Trey McDonald's best days as a basketball player are right around the corner.
* McDonald's performance the other night has really made Matta think about a more consistent 3-man rotation at center.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.