Two-Minute Drill: Updates from OSU Players, Coaches
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — The Buckeyes are 8-0 heading into this week’s showdown with Penn State in Happy Valley, but much of the concern on Monday was for quarterback Braxton Miller.
Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer said he expects Miller to practice this week and play against the Nittany Lions on Saturday, but we also got a chance to talk with offensive coordinator Tom Herman, co-defensive coordinator Everett Withers and a handful of players on the team’s day off.
* Herman said Braxton Miller is a very fine-tuned athlete and he's 19 years old. Doesn't like it when he gets hurt.
* Herman said Braxton's scary fall on Saturday will not impact the way they call plays for him this week. "We have to win the game."
* Herman said they compacted Kenny Guiton's feet and worked on his hip strength so he doesn't have to overthrow the ball.
* DB Christian Bryant said Braxton has been moving around well this week and seems good. Has been joking around.
* OT Reid Fragel said Braxton was a little "slower" moving around yesterday, but they're being told he's going to practice this week.
* Fragel said the Buckeyes were "pissed off, for lack of a better word" by the late hit on Braxton earlier in the game.
* Fragel said there were a lot of emotions when Braxton went down. Anger, worry, but Guiton calmed everyone down and gave them confidence.
More from Herman
* Herman said he has dissected the end of that game as a coach, but also enjoyed what it meant for this team and this season.
* Herman said he doesn't believe it fate or luck, it's called competitive excellence. Guys who have it are ready to make those plays.
* Herman said Penn State will be the best defense Ohio State has faced so far this year. Playing very well right now.
* Herman said he's learned his guys on offense are still a bit fragile after what they went through last year.
* Herman said being in the sterile press box allowed him not to get caught up in the emotion of the moment on the 2-point conversion.
* Herman said he picks his battles with Meyer, but he told him to go with the play they had practiced, not what Hyde or the O-line wanted.
Withers Talks Defense
* Withers said they challenged the guys on the back end of the defense to play better than they did against Indiana.
* Withers said the secondary responded with a great week of practice and played much
better against Purdue.
* Withers said Matt McGloin is the most efficient passer they will face all season. Knows where he wants go with the ball.
* Withers said once Jeff Heuerman scored the 2-point conversion, the OSU coaches and players all felt they were going to win the game.
* Withers said they stopped a screen in overtime because of pursuit. Hankins made a couple nice place in space.
More from Howard
* Travis Howard said Bradley Roby and John Simon are probably the two guys hurting the most on the defense this year.
* Howard said the first TD on the double wheel was a result of Storm Klein and Orhian Johnson covering the same guy.
* Howard said, strangely, that TD actually calmed them down on defense. Not concerned with being perfect. Just went out and played.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.