Two-Minute Drill: Meyer Wraps Up 2012 Season
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — Ohio State coach Urban Meyer was still in a celebratory mood on Monday when he met with the media to recap the team’s win over Michigan and an undefeated 2012 season.
The Buckeyes won’t get to practice as a team during the month December and they won’t get to play in a bowl game over the holidays. That’s something that concerns Meyer greatly heading into the offseason.
Here’s a look at what else Meyer had to say Monday as he wrapped up his first season as the head coach in Columbus.
* Meyer said he would grade the OSU passing game a C or C-, up from where it was in 2011, but nowhere near good enough.
* Meyer: "Our quarterback was not the most fundamental quarterback in the country so Tom Herman and I are going to have a talk about that."
* Meyer said if Braxton can become the most fundamental quarterback in the country, "it's comical" what he'll be able to do.
* Meyer said Braxton Miller is not a scrambler. All his yards came on runs, not scrambles, which they need to work on. "Steve Young is the best I've seen."
Looking Back at 2012
* Meyer on AP Poll: "All I'll say is I really believe we could play with any team in the country."
* Meyer said the memory he will always have of this season is the selflessness of this team. "Best I've ever seen."
* Meyer said Utah team in '04 was "crazy good," '06 Florida team was a pissed off team and '08 team was full of NFL talent.
* Meyer said there will be a wall dedicated to the 2012 Buckeyes to show future teams how to be selfless.
* Meyer said he didn't "know" he had the seniors until Sept. 29 in East Lansing during an emotional team meeting.
* Meyer said Zach Boren "certainly wasn't an Urban Meyer guy" at first, but he flipped the switch. Became a great team leader.
Looking Ahead to 2013
* Meyer has a team meeting today at 2pm. Doesn't know when he will talk with Bradley Roby, Johnathan Hankins about NFL decisions.
* Meyer: "If this team's not angry, and they get complacent, this team's average as dirt. Just like any team."
* Meyer on 2013: "The linebacker position has to get right. That's the weakest position on our team, and I'm not talking about Ryan Shazier."
* Meyer feels the 2013 offensive line could be very good, but he worries about the future behind those guys.
* Meyer said he expects to have all his assistant coaches back next season. "I know I'm not going to make a change."
* Meyer said he's always had respectful assistants who let him know if another team contacted them...except that once.
* Meyer said he got two speeding tickets racing home to his son's football games. Not from an officer, but they sent it in the mail.
* In the past, Meyer never would have left the facility to race home for his son's games. Made sure to change that.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.