Two-Minute Drill: Meyer Provides Wednesday Updates
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — After looking a little warn down following Saturday’s 14-point victory over UAB, Urban Meyer was a little more refreshed on Wednesday when he met up with the media after practice.
Ohio State’s head coach loved the energy he saw from his players on Wednesday, which was another heavy day of tackling for the OSU defense. He seemed to like where his team was at mentally heading into the Big Ten opener at Michigan State on Saturday.
Here’s a two-minute rundown of what Meyer and a handful of his players had to say after practice.
* Meyer said RB Carlos Hyde and CB Bradley Roby are ready to go this week for the Michigan State game.
* DB CJ Barnett is still limited with the ankle, but Christian Bryant said he'll be ready.
* Meyer seemed hesitant to say DE Michael Bennett would be ready for a lot of action this week, but he's close and will make the trip.
* Meyer on Bennett: "Not full speed yet, but he’ll be cleared to play. Don’t know if he will or not."
* Some of his teammates said Bennett has been taking some first-team reps in practice, which is an improvement.
* WR Philly Brown said they have some "exciting stuff" for this week involving Carlos Hyde and Jordan Hall together.
* TE Jake Stoneburner said having Hyde out there should allow Hall to do more of what he does best, getting out in space.
* Stoneburner wasn't even sure if Braxton Miller played in the game against MSU last year. Said he's a completely different player now.
* After watching film of last season's Michigan State game, Braxton Miller couldn’t believe how skinny he looked a year ago.
* Miller said he’s much more developed this year, both physically and mentally as a quarterback. Said he’s a sturdy 215 pounds now.
* Stoneburner said he's excited after watching film from the MSU-Eastern Michigan game. EMU TE was a major problem for Spartans.
* Stoneburner said summer was tough on him, but he and Mewhort were back about halfway through. Had to workout with the freshmen.
* Meyer said they gave Rod Smith and Bri'onte Dunn to the scout team this week to impersonate Michigan State RB Le'Veon Bell.
* DT Johnathan Hankins said the areas he's really improved this year are pass rush and making tackles downfield.
* Hankins laughed when he was asked if he had declared for the NFL Draft yet. Said it makes him want to work even harder.
* DB Christian Bryant said the coaches never yelled at him for the taunting penalty. Bryant didn't feel it warranted a flag.
* Bryant said this is definitely a rivalry game with Michigan State because of the history between these two schools.
* CB Doran Grant said Saturday will have more emotion for him because his dad played at MSU.
* Grant said his recruitment basically came down to a coin flip, because his dad was such a huge Spartans fan.
* Grant said MSU TE Dion Sims is a tough matchup. Key is to play him close and not let him “basketball it” on you.
* Grant also said he is very familiar with MSU corner Johnny Adams. From the same part of town and they still train together when home.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.