Two-Minute Drill: Notes from Meyer’s Monday Luncheon
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — Urban Meyer was in a great mood on Monday coming off his first victory over Penn State at Beaver Stadium in State College.
The Buckeyes are undefeated a 9-0 this season and up to No. 6 in the latest AP Top-25 Poll. They play an Illinois team on Saturday that is winless in Big Ten play this season, but Meyer knows his former assistant, Tim Beckman will have the Fighting Illini ready to go.
Here’s a look at what Meyer had to say during his weekly press luncheon on Monday afternoon.
Latest on Braxton
* In reference to Braxton Miller, Meyer said it's hard to teach a tiger to bite, much easier to teach a tiger when to bite.
* Meyer: "Do I believe Braxton is a Heisman candidate? I do. Now he has to play much better."
* Meyer said Braxton was much more confident in the second half. Settled down from his traumatic experience. A lot of it was footwork.
* Meyer said he's not certain about Etienne Sabino's status this week. Questionable right now.
* Meyer said the trainers told him this team is as healthy as it's been in a while.
Beating Penn State
* Meyer said this was the best team win Ohio State has had this season. Much better tackling and leveraging the ball.
* Meyer said he does see something special in this team beyond the record. Sees the intangible refuse-to-lose type atmosphere.
* Meyer said momentum is everything in a program. They're not playing for next year, they're trying to get as many wins as they can.
* Braxton Miller named Ohio State's offensive player of the week against PSU. Shazier and Bradley Roby share defensive honors.
* Meyer said they only had two champions on defense and they were Roby and Shazier, the co-players of the week.
* Shazier is the co-defensive player of the week in the Big Ten. Will go back to wearing No. 10 this week.
* Devin Smith takes home special teams player of the week for his work as a gunner on the punt team.
* Meyer said Roby had 7 PBU's against Penn State. Doesn't know if he's ever had a guy get his hand on 7 passes. Roby leads the Big Ten with 18 passes defended in eight games.
* Meyer said Jake Stoneburner is playing really well for them. Rededicated himself to being a great player. Playing a little H-back.
* Meyer said when he got here there was a perception Stoneburner was the greatest player in the world, and he wasn't.
* Meyer sat down with Stoneburner and told him to stop blaming other people and start playing better. Said he took it to heart.
* Meyer said Chase Farris right now is on fire. Development has been great. "Someday we're going to talk about him."
* Meyer said he would be careful using the word great with this defense, but feels much better about their fundamentals
* Meyer said Zach Boren is playing well but he's disappointed he didn't grade out champion. Expects more of him.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.