Two-Minute Drill: Meyer Talks Changes for Cal
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — The Buckeyes are 2-0 coming off a 31-16 win over Central Florida over the weekend, which means they have a chance to go 3-0 with a win over the Cal Golden Bears this week.
Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer met with the media Monday to talk about the win over UCF and the upcoming battle with Cal during his weekly press luncheon.
* Meyer said RB Carlos Hyde has an MCL sprain, but not a lot of swelling. Called it positive, but he won't play this week.
* DE Michael Bennett likely to miss a couple more weeks. MRI on his groin revealed some damage.
* There is a chance RB Jordan Hall could play this week, but they don't know yet. He will do some running today.
* Meyer: "Talent is not an issue anywhere at running back. We have to coach them and get them ready."
* Meyer said this is first time he's dealt with a microfracture injury. Sounds like Nathan Williams is on schedule, but they don't know. Said next 10 weeks we will be asking about the status of Nathan Williams, and they probably won't know until later in week.
* Meyer starting a new tradition at OSU called 'Victory Dinner' is mandatory for all players. Team-building.
* Champion performers vs. UCF on D: John Simon, Hankins. On offense: Norwell, Evan Spencer, Devin Smith, Philly Brown.
* Hankins was the Defensive Player of the Game. Philly Brown was Offensive Player and Jamal Marcus was Special Teams Player.
* Meyer called Philly Brown his best playmaker on offense, said he graded out 95% against UCF.
* Meyer praised the play of freshman LB David Perkins, but said it's the last time we will see him do his little celebration.
* Most Buckeye leaves for the Miami game last week: Braxton Miller (10), Hyde (8), Linsley (8), Philly Brown (8) and Bradley Roby (7.5).
* Meyer called Coach Coop his 'bird dog' with scouting. Just got his report on Cal. Said the CB and DT are high NFL guys.
* Meyer said Cal has more overall talent on the roster, but UCF had a few more high end, NFL-caliber guys on defense.
* Meyer said Cal will play the safeties down in the box and force them to go deep. Said they need to take some shots downfield.
* Meyer said he knows coach Tedford very well and still uses some of his pass plays on offense.
* Meyer said the big plays on defense "have to stop now." Starts with getting better pressure up front.
* Meyer said missed tackles and coverage errors were responsible for big plays on D. Secondary not sinking back like they should.
* Meyer said it's also lack of discipline and toughness, maybe reps, but it's not guys getting beat.
* Coombs said 7 pass plays of 20+ yards in 95 plays is unacceptable. Said one would be unacceptable.
* Coombs said in order to create INT's, they are using multiple coverages on the back end. Can lead to more breakdowns.
* Coombs said they he believes the new coverages they are using on the back end will pay off as players get more comfortable.
* Coombs: "We have a clear expectation, if not to lead the country in interceptions, to be that in that top group."
Getting More Pressure
* Meyer said teams are doing a great job defending their pass rush and especially their best pass rusher (John Simon).
* Meyer met with Fickell and Withers this morning at 7am to talk about the lack of a pass rush. Bennett injury hurts them.
* Meyer said the names Washington, Spence, Schutt are three Buckeye fans will love over the next few years. Trying to get them ready fast.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.