Two-Minute Drill: Interesting Day 2
By Brandon Castel
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — It was an interesting morning at Ohio State practice on day two in Jacksonville.
Much like the first day, practice was scheduled to begin at 9:30 a.m. sharp, but the team showed up 20 minutes late because of a team meeting. Reporters were then asked to leave for another 20 minutes so the Buckeyes could "work on something" from the team meeting.
What that means, we will leave to your imagination, but here were a few of the interesting updates from Ohio State’s second practice in Columbus.
Shazier Getting Used to Brace
· Freshman LB Ryan Shazier said he’s about 85-90% now, but definitely planning to play.
· Shazier acknowledged that he strained his MCL in the Michigan game going for Denard Robinson. Said he thinks the two bumped knees fighting for a fumble.
· He is getting used to playing with a brace. More he gets used to it, the more effective he is. Especially laterally.
· He is going to wear the brace in the Gator Bowl so no one hits his knee, but the trainers don’t see it getting any worse.
· Shazier confirmed he will be on field with Andrew Sweat and he's excited about that.
· Shazier said he knows about half the Florida team. Expects there to be some conversation back and forth. Feels very confident about the matchup.
· Junior LB Etienne Sabino said he knows almost nobody on Florida team.
Big Hank Dieting?
· Sophomore DT Johnathan Hankins said he’s moving better now with his knee injury, which he suffered against Purdue.
· He also said he is looking forward to losing more weight and playing at a smaller size next year. That’s definitely in the plans for him.
· Hankins said he wants to play at 320 pounds next season.
· Defensive Coordinator Jim Heacock admitted this year’s D wasn’t up to par. Wouldn't pin it on anyone, but admitted the linebacker play has been an issue.
· Heacock said the defense is healthier than it has been in 4 to 5 games.
· He did say safety Orhian Johnson is banged up and hasn’t done much practice this bowl season.
· Heacock wouldn’t talk about his own future, focused on the game. He did say that he feels blessed to have spent 16 seasons at Ohio State.
· Senior DE Nathan Williams was at practice today. He wasn't dressed in pads (obviously), but also was not on crutches.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.