Two-Minute Drill: Buckeyes Fall in Ann Arbor
By Brandon Castel
ANN ARBOR, Mich. — For the first time since 2003, Ohio State fans, players and coaches know what it feels like to lose against Michigan.
The Buckeyes had a chance to drive for the winning touchdown at Michigan Stadium, but Braxton Miller could not connect on a deep ball to DeVier Posey and his fourth-down pass was intercepted off the hands of Devin Smith.
Here is a look inside Ohio State’s emotional postgame in ‘The Big House.’
An Emotional Luke Fickell
- Fickell was asked about his future and Urban Meyer. Declined to comment out of respect for the Ohio State-Michigan game.
- Fickell was asked again, he slammed his fist on the table. Said the only thing I know is we're getting on the bus...and trying to get better.
- Fickell also seemed like he was holding back tears in the postgame. Said he apologized to the team for everything they have been through this year. Said this season will make everyone in that locker room better people.
- Tyler Moeller and other players said they were behind Fickell and feel he should get the job. Not his fault the players screwed up.
Win One for Tressel?
- A number of players confirmed after the game that Jim Tressel addressed the team earlier this week.
- The players said it was emotional to hear from Tressel and they wanted to win this one for him, Fickell and Joe Daniels.
- Center Michael Brewster called it “an honor” to hear from Tressel again. Said for a minute it was like everything had just been a bad dream.
The Final Drive
- DeVier Posey said when he got open on the final drive he thought it was going to be the game-winning score. Came up few feet short.
- Posey said Braxton Miller made the call on the long pass they almost complete on final drive. Said it was “a grown man call.”
- Braxton Miller said it felt good when it left his hand. Thought he had Posey, but it just sailed on him...."maybe the wind got it."
- Posey said he was running as fast as he could, pumping his arms. Was hoping to dive for it, but it was a few feet too far.
- Fickell said Braxton spiked the ball on 3rd down after missing the call to spike it on 2nd.
- Braxton said the call to spike it on 3rd down came from the sideline.
- Offensive Coordinator Jim Bollman said the 4th down pass looked like a ball Devin Smith should have caught.
- Bollman said they wanted to come out early and be aggressive throwing the ball after the last 3 weeks.
- Bollman said Michigan does a great job of blitzing on passing downs, so they wanted to throw more in running situations.
- Boom Herron said they added a few new plays to the playbook for this week.
- Bollman said we have no idea how much of a difference Posey makes, even seeing him get open as much as he did today.
- Bollman said Braxton had a pretty good day...the near misses were things that will come with experience.
- Braxton Miller said his main focus right now is watching film and getting better for next year.
- John Simon also said that he will definitely be back next season.
- Simon said he doesn't worry about the 40 points on scoreboard because knows everyone D gave everything they had.
- Ryan Shazier said his pain was a 7 on scale of 1-10. Said his knee gave out a few times when he planted.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.