By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — Both of Ohio State’s coordinators met with the media Wednesday after practice to discuss the Buckeyes’ upcoming game at Miami (Fla.).
Defensive Coordinator Jim Heacock and Offensive Coordinator Jim Bollman had some updates on a number of critical players and situations for the Buckeyes heading into a key non-conference matchup with the Hurricanes.
- Starting DE Nate Williams had his knee scoped today and he will NOT play against Miami.
- Williams did not dress against Toledo after injuring his knee in the season-opener against Akron.
- Heacock was not certain about the timetable for his return.
- Not having Williams is a serious loss against Miami considering Heacock said they are one of best offensive lines they will face all year.
- Starting WR Philly Brown is DOUBTFUL for Saturday’s game after re-injuring his ankle against Toledo.
- Brown has not practiced this week and Bollman said Chris Fields would likely start in his place.
- Bollman said Jordan Hall will have "a major role" immediately coming off his 2-game suspension.
- Bollman said he expects Hall to start the game at RB despite Luke Fickell’s comments that Carlos Hyde was the starter.
- Bollman said Corey Linsley will play "a lot more than a little bit" at guard Saturday after serving his 2-game suspension.
- Braxton Miller is full-go this week in practice and is "in the plan" for this week against Miami.
- Braxton missed a couple practice days last week, which contributed to decision not to play him against Toledo.
- Bollman agreed that they will "need" both QBs at some point, but they have to let things evolve naturally.
- T.Y. Williams will enter the WR rotation if Philly cannot go against Miami.
- Travis Howard is back in the mix at corner after serving his suspension. Cornerbacks coach Taver Johnson has been rotating all 3 corners this week in practice.
- Redshirt freshman J.T. Moore will get the start at Leo in place of Nat Williams and freshman Steve Miller is working as the backup this week in practice.
- John Simon can also play some Leo in a 4-man front.
- Heacock said Simon impressed him after coming back from the locker room Saturday to make a bunch of plays down the stretch.
- Freshman LB Ryan Shazier played some Leo late against Toledo, but only for pass-rushing purposes.
- Heacock raved about the play of Johnathan Hankins, who played 67 plays against Toledo. Said he was playing as well on the last series as he was on the first.
- Heacock said freshman Michael Bennett is coming along and also Darryl Baldwin. Also that Adam Bellamy has had a great week of practice so far.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.