Two-Minute Drill: Fickell’s Tuesday Press Luncheon
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — Ohio State Head Coach Luke Fickell met with the media Tuesday on the eve of Big Ten play.
The Buckeyes will start things out by hosting defending co-champion Michigan State Saturday followed by trips to Nebraska and Illinois.
Here is a two-minute rundown what Fickell had to sat Tuesday.
- Fickell said the No. 1 thing Braxton did was hold on to the football.
- Fickell said the ball wasn't coming out of Braxton's hand very well at the start of the game. Could be attributed to nerves.
- Fickell said Miller is 'like a freshman' when it comes to the playbook - but he is improving.
- Fickell said he'd rather have a guy that's a competitor than a guy who wants to slide. That's where they have to coach him.
Naming Jordan Hall Game Captain
- Fickell on Jordan Hall being named captain: "You learn from the past."
- Fickell says Hall has been a leader in the locker room.
- Hall said being a captain for Michigan State is an honor and will be one of his greatest memories at Ohio State.
- If you're wondering whether Posey, Adams or Herron will be game captains at all this, look no further than Jordan Hall. Fickell said that was one of the reasons they didn’t name season captains.
- Fickell said Hall would start somewhere on defense too because of his competitive fire.
- Fickell said he doesn't know if Nathan Williams or Philly Brown will be available this week. Won’t know until Wednesday.
- FB Adam Homan’s surgery was for a knee injury.
- Fickell agreed that this Michigan State defense is the biggest threat his offense has faced so far. Said MSU is as good up front as they have seen.
- Fickell said WR Devin Smith had 27-30 snaps last week. Will get more and more as he matures.
- Fickell said they aren't worried about Herron, Posey and Adams coming back. They will get them involved when the time comes.
- Fickell said they still had missed tackles and you're always going to have that when you're aggressive. Difference was they had 2-3 guys around the ball to clean up any missed tackles.
- Fickell said LB Ryan Shazier is going to be a very, very good football player.
- Freshman LB Curtis Grant has started to pick up the defense more and will get some opportunity to play some Sam LB this week in practice.
- Fickell said they want to get Curtis Grant more involved in special teams and possibly some goal line situations.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.