Two-Minute Drill: Thursday Fickell
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — The Big Ten season is officially upon us, which means intensity gets ratcheted up about 10 notches.
Ohio State Head Coach Luke Fickell still seemed calm in his Thursday press conference before the Buckeyes take on Michigan State in the conference opener.
Here is a two-minute rundown of what Fickell had to say before his first Big Ten game as head coach.
- Fickell said WR Philly Brown was practicing a little bit, but he's probably not going to make it this week. Said they’ll see after Thurs. practice, but it “doesn’t look good.”
- Fickell said he doesn't think there's any chance DE Nathan Williams will be back this week.
- Fickell said LB Jordan Whiting will probably miss this week's game because of injury.
- Fickell said LB Andrew Sweat is the healthiest he has been this year.
- Fickell said one thing that affected them most offensively vs. Miami was falling behind 14-0 in the first quarter.
- It took away their balance because the defense was going to play more bend-but-not break.
- On his Coaches Show, Fickell said backup QB Kenny Guiton could see time on special teams this week.
- Fickell said the one thing they have to get better at LB is leadership.
- Brian Rolle didn’t always make the right calls, but he was confident and aggressive and knew what he wanted the defense to do.
- Freshman LB Ryan Shazier as a part of the mix at LB now. Fickell said he got 35 snaps last week. Could see him at Will LB with Sweat inside at Mike.
- Fickell said he wants to see natural instincts in young LBs if they're going to play early.
- Fickell said one of the most important things Christian Bryant brings to the defense is his natural confidence.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.