Two-Minute Drill: Inside the Post-Game Locker Room
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — Saturday’s 10-7 ‘blowout’ loss to Michigan State was as hard to watch from the press box as it was in the stands.
Fortunately, we got a chance to get some answers—or at least something resembling answers—from Head Coach Luke Fickell and the players in the post-game locker room after Ohio State’s second loss of the season.
- Fickell said he decided to switch QBs in the 4th quarter because Braxton Miller was “seeing the field” very well.
- Fickell said Miller is still his starting quarterback, but they are going to take a “hard look” at the quarterback situation.
- Joe Bauserman said he took about 30% of the snaps with the 1st team offense last week in practice.
- Michigan State coach Mark Dantonio said his plan was to blitz Miller and “put a fence around him” so he couldn’t get out of the pocket.
- Center Mike Brewster said the ball was wet and slipped off his glove on the bad snap. Said he may not wear a glove next week.
- Brewster said the Buckeyes will need to air it out more next week if they want to keep teams from loading the box on every play.
Picking Up the Blitz, Or Not
- Dantonio said their defensive game plan was to blitz on every play.
- Brewster admitted he didn’t do a good job of recognizing where the blitz was coming from.
- A number of players said MSU was bringing more guys than they could block on every play.
- Jordan Hall said they practice screens and misdirection, but the coaches didn't use it today.
- Hall said he thinks they need to use more quick passes—slants and outs—to help the passing game.
- Brewster said he doesn't think Braxton can check into those plays yet.
- Fickell said the game plan was to run the ball early and when they couldn't do that, it put them in a bind.
- Carlos Hyde said right now Zach Boren is the leader of the offense.
- Boren gave a fiery speech at halftime about Ohio State’s lack of energy and emotion.
- Brewster said getting DeVier Posey, Mike Adams and Boom Herron back will make a huge difference because they are experienced.
- The Buckeyes also expect to have WR Philly Brown back next week.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.