Two-Minute Drill: Fickell’s Tuesday Press Luncheon
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — Luke Fickell was still basking in the glow of his big win over Wisconsin when he came to the podium Tuesday.
He talked about enjoying the victory, but also said there were certain parts of the win that didn’t sit well with him.
Nothing cures that more than hosting in Indiana team looking for its first win in conference play and its second win of the season overall.
Braxton Coming of Age
- Braxton Miller gained confidence in his ability Saturday. The guys around him believe in him and are getting more comfortable on offense.
- Fickell said everybody is different how they handle their emotions, but being able to look in Braxton's eyes and see his confidence is what’s important.
- Fickell said he wouldn't do anything different no matter what the situation was or what they University promised him.
- Fickell: “If I ask them to be unselfish and sacrifice for each other then we better do the same for them.”
- Fickell said his wife and kids have always been on his bandwagon. “Our bandwagon is our team.”
Avoiding a Letdown
- Fickell said the staff has reminded the players that November is “where the real games begin.”
- Fickell said “there'll be no letdown,” because this team is focusing on itself and how it can get better on a daily basis.
- Fickell said “We are in no place to look past anything.”
- Boom Herron brought a confidence back to the offense. Guys can look at him in the huddle and see how calm he is.
- Herron said he thought he could have gotten North-South a little more after watching the film. Only his second game, he will get better
- Fickell said the key for Carlos Hyde right now is his mentality. Does he believe in this team and this program? His opportunities will come.
- Herron told Hyde how he had guys like Beanie Wells, Mo Wells and Brandon Saine in front of him. He told him to stay patient.
- Herron said he got emotional being back in Ohio Stadium with the fans and his teammates.
- Herron said he has received a lot of positive feedback since his return. He had a mix of positive and negative before that.
- Herron said he feels great physically after carrying the ball 33 times. Said he's ready for 33 or even 43 carries this week.
- Fickell said the first Wisconsin TD was a heck of a play by Montee Ball. If he doesn't make that play, Bryant might have 6 the other way.
- They don’t want to take away Bryant’s aggressiveness and desire to make plays.
- Fickell said he'd like to have last 4:30 back from Wisconsin game. Said it took two years off his life.
- Fickell said Wisconsin got some momentum with the big run by Montee Ball on the draw play on 3rd and 1.
- Fickell called the last Wisconsin TD a “blown coverage.” Didn't get more specific.
- Fickell said, “If people are going to beat you, you have to make them beat you doing what you do, not just giving it to them.”
- Fickell said playing Adam Bellamy and John Simon at DE is about getting best 11 on the field. Would be different if they had Nathan Williams or Thad Gibson.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.