Two-Minute Drill: Assistants Provide Updates
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — Ohio State Head Coach Luke Fickell will have one last meeting with the media Thursday before the Buckeyes try to rebound against Colorado.
Two of his assistant coaches spoke with the media after practice Wednesday. Running backs coach Stan Drayton provided updates on the offense—including the struggles of the young receivers. Safeties coach and co-defensive coordinator Paul Haynes provided updates for the defense.
- Drayton said Braxton Miller and Joe Bauserman have been “competing hard” in practice this week, but would not tip his hand as to who the Buckeyes will start Saturday.
- Drayton is the coach on the field who talks to Miller when he comes off, but he said he is mainly relaying things QBs coach Nic Siciliano has told him over the headset.
- Drayton said Braxton Miller is a competitive guy and wears his emotions on his sleeve when he doesn't do well.
- Drayton said Philly Brown's status right now is day-to-day. Said he is 50/50 for the Colorado game.
- Drayton admitted the Miami game was a tough day for him and the receivers, but a lot of things went wrong for everyone.
- Drayton said Verlon Reed took his drop against Miami very hard, but he loves the way he has responded this week.
- Drayton said his young WRs learned priceless lessons against Miami. Said he hasn’t seen many guys in 18 years who can go out and do it without experiences like this.
- Drayton said freshman Devin Smith was re-routed on that deep ball. He didn't do a good job handling the contact.
- Haynes said that the first big run by Miami was not a miscommunication. Just bad tackling.
- Haynes said that the 27 missed tackles Sat. were by far the most he's seen in time at Ohio State.
- Haynes said the bad tackling was not because of a lack of effort, maybe over-effort. Everyone trying too hard to make a play and didn’t stick to their assignment.
- Haynes said he isn’t worried about the talent level on the defense. Believes defense can carry the team when needed.
- Haynes said he sees Christian Bryant coming on strong and expects him to get more playing time.
- Haynes said Bryant and Orhian Johnson have been rotating pretty evenly. Said C.J. Barnett played the whole game against Miami.
- Haynes compared John Simon to A.J. Hawk. Said that Simon doesn't have to say a lot, everyone just knows he's a leader and they follow.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.